Thursday, December 3, 2009

An inspiration to all of us

Very often we postpone things that we can easily do at that particular moment. Very often we make lame excuses just because we are not in a "mood" to do it. Very often we underestimate ourselves. Very often we just don't try doing it.

You might be thinking why am I worrying over it. The reason behind it is that there is a small fest going on just on the ground floor of the building where I live and study. The fest is organized by the S.P.J. Sadhana School. Right from the papdi-chat that I ate there just now or the chuski that my friends ate or the chocolate moose that I tasted from a friend's cup, was all made by the students. From the bookmarks that I bought or the penstand or a small stitched pouch for my phone, everything was made by them. Apart from that there were saris, jwellery, other accesories-- all handmade by someone whom we in our common language term "mentally challenged".

If they can do so many things, how are they challenged? I would rather say that I am challenged that I at the age of 20, going on 21 next month, don't have half the abilities of what they have. Really, I mean, how much do we take ourselves granted for. There is no limit to it. Sometimes I think why do we do this with our ownselves when we would not like anyone take us for granted. We all would like to be acknowledged and appreciated. But this seems to be really difficult considering the fact that we don't acknowledge our ownselves.

Another source of inspiration these days for me is my one of my classmates who ia Visually Impaired-- Garima Goyal. And believe you me, she is one of the best, rather the best student in the class-- a medias class where every thursday we are supossed to watch a new film, analyse it and write answers about it in the exams. She clicks pictures and takes the maximum notes in the class on her laptop. When we went on a trip to Uttarakhand this November, she went for almost all the treks that were organised and went River Crossing too.

Now this is what you call determination and a longing to LIVE life. When you believe in Yourself, people will automatically come to your help. So when the children come up with a fest like this, you will surely go and get yourself something not only to help them but also to remind your ownself. Similarly, when there is a film screening, one of us sit beside Garima and describe her the visuals. It's very rightly said -- God helps them, who helps themselves.

No comments: